Pages

Saturday, April 10, 2010

Weekend Cooking: Easter Breakfast

We love leisurely family breakfasts but, our busy schedules don't often allow time to sit together for a morning meal. Holiday breakfasts have become a family tradition. Margaret and I pour over cookbooks and recipes searching for the perfect dish. Last Christmas, we discovered a new favorite - Nan's Baked French Toast. When it came time to choose an Easter Breakfast, the choice was unanimous!

Nan's Baked French Toast

Cut bread into 1-inch squares; enough to cover the bottom of a greased 9 x 13 pan.

Lightly beat 2 eggs, 3 Tablespoons sugar, and 1 teaspoon vanilla.
Stir in 2 1/4 cups milk.
Pour over bread, turning pieces to coat well.

At this point, you may stop, cover, and refrigerate over night, if you wish.

Preheat oven to 375ยบ F.

Combine 1/2 cup flour, 6 Tablespoons sugar, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (optional).
Cut in 1/4 cup butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.

Scatter 1 cup blueberries and/or strawberries over the bread.
Sprinkle with the crumb mixture.

Bake about 40 minutes until golden brown.

Note: At Christmas, the bread/milk mixture was in the refrigerator overnight and needed a little extra cooking time. Last weekend, I prepared it in the morning and 40 minutes in the oven was perfect. Looking at the picture, I realized the fruit was added after the crumb mixture instead of before.... oh well, it was still delicious.

Nan blogs at Letters from a Hill Farm. I've tried several of her recipes and have never been disappointed!

Weekend Cooking, hosted at Beth Fish Reads, is open to anyone with a food-related post to share: Book (novel, nonfiction) reviews, cookbook reviews, movie reviews, recipes, random thoughts, gadgets, fabulous quotations, photographs. If your post is even vaguely foodie, feel free to grab the button, head over to Beth Fish Reads, and link up anytime over the weekend.

18 comments:

Staci said...

OMgoodness!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That photo is just gorgeous and made me hungry!! I wished I'd made this for the RAT today!!!!

Stacy said...

Looks so yummy! I will try this...I need to add more recipes to my breakfast menu. We used to make family breakfast every weekend but now it seems like a very once in a while thing.

Beth F said...

OMG. This looks soooooooooo good. I'm treating Mr. BFR to this just as soon as I snag some fresh strawberries. So easy, so good.

bermudaonion said...

Oh my gosh, that looks like a feast! It looks pretty easy to prepare, too! Thanks for sharing.

Kaye said...

DUh! I didn't even know you had another blog!! Thanks for putting up the link at lakeside musing. What have I been missing I can't even imagine. This recipe looks great especially if you are having company.

Have a great weekend, happy cooking and reading too.

caite said...

rather bread pudding-ish, no?
and nice that you can prepare most of it ahead and just stick it in the oven.

Heather said...

that looks so good.

Amy said...

This looks great!

Darlene said...

Oh JoAnn! How wonderful and delicious! I love the header picture and look forward to checking in regularly to see what's cooking!

JoAnn said...

Staci - This breakfast would be a great start the October read-a-thon.

Book Psmith - I'll bet your family will love this. All of Nan's recipes have been a hit for us.

Beth F - Mr. BFR is in for a treat!

Bermudaonion - It so easy, but looks so special!

Kaye - We just started this blog a week ago - you haven't missed anything.

Caite - It is like a bread pudding.

Heather and Amy - thanks!

Darlene - My daughter picked out the header picture. I love it, too!

Margot said...

This breakfast dish looks wonderful. I'm a fan of Nan's recipes too. Her Chocolate Chip Bars are fantastic. Glad you clued us in on the new blog. It looks great. I'll have to subscribe so I don't miss anything.

JoAnn said...

Margot - I've made Nan Chocolate Chip Bars, too, and we loved them! We're still figuring out what we want to do with this blog... it's definitely a work in progress.

Les said...

You and Nan have both convinced me. I'm making this next weekend!!

JoAnn said...

Les - I'm sure you won't be disappointed. This recipe is a keeper!

Melissa said...

How in the world did I possibly miss this one??! That looks positively decadent, and I am making that the next time the in-laws are visiting (or, maybe the next time I have the ingredients, because it looks that good!)

JoAnn said...

Melissa - At least you found it today - this recipe is definitely a keeper!

Kim said...

Love your beautiful pictures! I need them so I know what it's supposed to look like. My Hub and I will often have a breakfast for dinner once a week. I'll be sure to try this! (might have to half it, tho)

JoAnn said...

Kim - The girls love breakfast for dinner, so we often do it when my husband isn't home (he prefers breakfast food in the morning!). Glad you like the photos... we're trying to improve our food photography.