Pages

Monday, December 6, 2010

Savory Christmas Bread


As a senior, these past few months have been stressful and quite busy, but today I caught a break with our first snow day.

After doing a little Christmas shopping and a lot of grocery shopping, my mom and I enjoyed Peppermint Mocha Lattes from Starbucks. When I got home, I decided it was finally time to bake after minimal oven usage for the last several months.

King Arthur Flour has been my go to cookbook lately, and today seemed like a perfect day to whip up some homemade bread. I selected this Savory Christmas Bread, and holy cow is it good -- so good that I had to post it immediately (it's still warm now). The provolone cheese adds a little something special to this comforting, savory bread.

Savory Christmas Bread

Ingredients:
3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
8 ounces provolone cheese, grated (approximately 2 cups)
4 large eggs, beaten
1/2 cup evaporated milk
3 large garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup finely chopped green pepper
1/4 cup finely chopped sun-dried tomatoes

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

In a medium sized bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, salt, and cheese. Add the beaten eggs, reserving 2 tablespoons for glazing the bread before baking. Mix in evaporated milk, garlic, and vegetables, stirring to make a soft dough.

Turn dough out onto a well-floured surface and form it into a smooth ball. Roll the ball into a log shape about 10 inches long. Place it on a greased cookie sheet. Brush with the reserved beaten egg.

Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until golden brown.

1 comment:

Esme said...

I will have to try this. I just made my Christmas cake tonight and am fighting my husband for him not to cut into it.